Vindications and bizarre awards  

Posted by Andrew M.

It has been a while since my last post, mostly because I have been caught-up in the talk I was asked to give on Sunday.  The theme was: Temples.  Specifically, why they are important.  Oh, and I had ten minutes to fill.

My problem these days is not filling the time: it’s trying to stay within the time limit.  Especially since I had five single-spaced pages typed with what I thought was good material.  I knew I could spend some time…well, a lot of time, trying to trim it down.  Or, I could give it to Brooke and let her go to town.  I realized that giving it to Brooke would amount to significant changes, because there was a lot that needed to be dropped.  I also knew that it would be easier for her to ‘axe’ things out because it was not her talk.

So, off to Brooke it went, and back it came at three pages.  But, it ended up being a good thing, because I actually had a talk that was cohesive, to the point, and just about within the time constraint—I think I took eleven minutes.

I think it went well, but it was for combined priesthood (ward conference).  The guy after me didn’t give a talk so much as a shortened lesson, involving people within the group.  I would have preferred to do it that way, but, again, only ten minutes.  Needless to say, he took way more than ten.

Anyway, here I am to blog a wee bit before I head off to work.  What to talk about?

It has come to my attention recently that I may have offended one of my readers with a random comment I inserted into one of my posts.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  I suppose my hubris was exfoliating a bit too much, and I may have gesticulated out of focus as I supervised the ramifications of my comments.  Honestly, from time to time, sometimes my intense ego causes my thinking superlative agendas.  I don’t think I need to articulate how this would be deleterious in the maximized velocity.  I think you all see where I am going with this, so let me just wrap it up here.  My penchant for irony has turned me quagmire, and I have exasperated an immaculate agnate.  So, to my one-and-only mechanic brother-in-law, I bid portentous extenuation: I am distressingly penitent.  Your language credentials are superlative.

As a kind of by-the-way item, has anyway tried to do the ‘disabled’ feature for the word verification for posting comments?  Did they have to make it sound like a song being played backwards?  I keep expecting to hear the phrase ‘it’s fun to smoke marijuana’ in the background.  Either that, or they need to turn off the bread-mixer in the background.  I guess that is just practical thinking for you—make some bread and help the disabled post their comments.  There should be some kind of award for that.

I can see it now:

“And this next award goes to the individual whose commitment to serving the disabled globally is rivaled only by their passion for pastries of all shapes and sizes.  That’s right, it is time to announce the nominees for the ‘Disabled assistance whilst multitasking bread production award’.”

Then they announce the winner and give him/her the award—a wheelchair with a loaf of bread in the seat.

Anyway, I think I have said enough for today.  Thanks for reading!

I would like to officially thank dictionary.com for the assistance I received in crafting portions of this blog.  I think you can tell which portions! =)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

a joy to laugh at. some of your post reminded me of another blog that i can't quite seem to get through. no names. but i find myself making to-do lists in my head whilst i read.
anyway, thanks for the laugh. i'm off to find out first-hand about the breadmaking noises.

February 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Jeff loves dictionary.com, too. I guess i'll do your clutch now.

February 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Post a Comment